Patron of Cambridge University Heraldic and Genealogical Society, 1980-2003
The Most Rev. Bruno Bernard Heim was born in Olten, Switzerland on March 5th, 1911, the son of Bernard and Elisabeth Heim-Studer. His artistic talent was evident at an early age. He was introduced to heraldry at the age of 16 when a college professor persuaded him to illustrate a book the professor was writing. Thus began a lifelong interest in the subject.
Archbishop Heim was ordained a priest in 1938 and finally retired as Apostolic Pro-Nuncio to the Court of St James’s in 1985. Early in his wide-ranging scholastic and ecclesiastical career, he encountered Archbishop Angelo Roncalli, no mean heraldist in his own right, who was to become Pope John XXIII.
Examples of his heraldic work that can be found on the Internet include:
Archbishop Heim died on March 18th, 2003.
Besides being the Patron of the Cambridge University Heraldic and Genealogical Society, Archbishop Heim was also a Council member of the International Heraldic Academy. He also held numerous positions in orders of chivalry:
The following is a brief summary only:
|1934||Admitted a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) at the Thomas Aquinas University (Angelicum), Rome|
|1938||Ordained as a priest and Vicar in Basle and Arbon|
|1942||Study at the Pontifical Ecclesiastical Academy for Diplomats, Rome|
|1943||Chief Chaplain for Italian and Polish Internees in Switzerland|
|1946||Admitted a Doctor in Canon Law (J.C.D.) at the Gregorian University|
|1947||Personal Secretary to the Papal Nuncio of France (Archbishop Angelo Roncalli, who was subsequently elected a Successor of St Peter as Pope John XXIII)|
|Auditor at the Nunciature in Vienna|
|Counsellor and Charge d'affaires at the Nunciature in Germany|
|1961||Appointed Apostolic Delegate to Scandinavia with the title of Archbishop of Xanthos|
|1966||Appointed Apostolic Pro-Nuncio to Finland|
|1969||Appointed Apostolic Pro-Nuncio to Egypt|
|1973||Appointed Apostolic Delegate to Great Britain|
|1982||Appointed Apostolic Pro-Nuncio to the Court of St James’s|