|Presentation of the B.V.M., 1989|
Tuesday, 21st November, 38 Eliz. II
and the College of Arms, London
Dr. John Horton
Dr. Colin Mumford
Members made their way to London by train to Liverpool Street, and then by Underground to Saint Paul's. Then on to Queen Vistoria street to meet at the Guild Church of Saint Bene't for 5.30 p.m.
Members were met at the church by the incumbent, The Revd. A. Pryse-Hawkins, and were given a short talk, followed by a tour of the church.
The church is the chapel of the College of Arms. Each herald has a seat in the stalls either side of the Sanctuary, and has his banner hanging up inside the Church.
The banner of the "Herald-in-waiting" for any particular week is removed from the Church and flown from the College across the road. St. Bene't's has been the College's Chapel since they moved into Derby House in 1555.
The Church was also the church of Doctors' Commons, who were also across the road, and the Doctors had scarlet-covered seats in the balcony upstairs.
The Church contains many interesting features, the Wren architecture is complemented beautifully by the Grinling Gibbons carving on the pulpit. The Altar, rails, font and reredos are all part of the original furnishings.
After an hour in the Church, members walked across the road to the College of Arms, where Henry Paston-Bedingfeld's was waiting to give a guided tour. This started in the Earl Marshal's Courtroom, today with all the rails in place, and then proceeded through into the Library, where the beautiful collection of records kept by the College was sshown to the members.
After some time in the Library, Henry Paston-Bedingfeld kindly provided a few glasses of wine for members before they undertook the tain journey back to Cambridge.
Contact Officers of the Society by electronic mail.
Cambridge University Heraldic and Genealogical Society