|Thursday, 29th October, 1987||ST Edmund's College|
|James Sergeant||Mark Collins|
A fanfare sounded as the procession entered the chapel; The Fellows, The Vice-Master, Rouge Croix Pursuivant of Arms, the Vice-Chancellor, Garter Principal King of Arms, The Master and the Earl Marshal. The choir followed with the Dean and the congregation sang Newman's "Praise to the Holiest in the height". After prayers, the Master introduced the Presentation Ceremony and His Grace the Duke of Norfolk, K.G., G.C.V.O., C.B., C.B.E., M.C., Earl Marshal and Honorary Fellow of the College made a witty speech referring to his family's long history and its association with the College including its foundation in 1896 by Henry Fitzalan Howard, 15th Duke of Norfolk. In 1986 ST Edmund's House became ST Edmund's College after gaining the status of Approved Foundation in 1975. MR Paston-Bedingfeld, Rouge Croix Pursuivant of Arms then handed the Letters Patent to Sir Colin Cole, K.C.V.O., T.D., F.S.A., Garter Principal King of Arms who read excerpts from the Letters and handed the unrolled Scroll to the Master. A small presentation was made to the benefactor of the Grant Fees. After the ceremony, Rouge Croix gave a lecture on Academic Heraldry. Guests were able to meet over a buffet Supper. The whole event was video-taped. The sumptuous document was on display, showing the new arms, differenced from the Norfolk's by a white border. Around the Letters were symbols of an elephant and a seal as a tribute to the Master's work in Africa and Antartica. A martlet carrying a trillium flower will be used as a badge and represents Ontario, where the Canadian benefactor lives.
Contact Officers of the Society by electronic mail.
Cambridge University Heraldic and Genealogical Society